I’m at the Vienna airport right now coming home at the end of my first solo trip! I just want to thank everyone on this sub for all of the encouragement, tips, and everything.
I went to Vienna, Prague, Olomouc, Krakow, and Budapest and took day trips to Zakopane and Salzburg. It was a really awesome experience for me, and I figured I’d share some highlights and things I learned.
* All I should’ve booked were flights and a place to stay for New Years. Since it was my first solo, I wanted to do a little more planning, but the extra flexibility would’ve been nice.
* I should’ve packed twice as many pairs of underwear and socks as shirts, so that they would all be dirty at the same time and I could get all of my laundry done at once.
* Big chain hostels (like Wombats Naschmarkt in Vienna) are much harder to meet people in than smaller ones with more common spaces and group activities (like Greg and Tom in Krakow and Hostel One in Budapest, which were both awesome!).
* Budget a day in each city to just roaming around, eating street food, seeing sights, and maybe doing walking tours without doing any museums, etc. Walking around really helped me get to know the places I was in.
* The people in the hostels that you stay in can make or break your time there. Meet them.
Again, thanks so much for all of the pointers and I can’t wait for my next solo!!